DUNNVILLE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
NOVEMBER 17, 2022
Optimist Club Hall, Dunnville
5:45-6:00 pm Members began to arrive and:
- Dropped off non-perishable food items for Salvation Army Food Drive
- Signed in for member attendance and draw eligibility
- Purchased their 2023 DHS Membership
- Entered their Splash of Red photo for judging
- Dropped off their Potluck dish at the food table and find their seats
- Partook in coffee, tea, water and apple cider
6:00 pm Welcome by Deb Zynomirski, followed by Grace given by Steve Elgersma. Deb reviewed the games everyone received upon entry, they are encouraged to work on these during dinner. Everyone then enjoyed a delicious assortment of food mixed with good company!
7 pm Business and Annual General Meeting
- Singing of “O Canada”
- Call to order and welcome by DHS President, Deb Zynomirski
- Greetings from Patrick O’Neill (Councillor) Haldimand County
- Minutes of 2021 AGM presented by Secretary, Petra Kruis-Daly. Cindy Huitema moved to be accepted, Sharon Sykes 2nd, passed by the membership.
- Awarding of 2022 Continuous Service Pins: Debbie Thomas, Past President
- (5 Year pins: John Collins, Judy Culp, Martha Glaw, Dan Mckay, Nathan Mckay, Wyn Overend) (10 year pins: Janet Devos, Ellen Guenther, Nick Huitema, Marlene Link, Beth Powell, Ken Sherwood, Deb Zynomirski)
- Treasurer’s Annual Financial Report presented by Ellen Guenther. Betty Ballenger moved to be accepted, Susan Milligan 2nd, passed by the membership. Special thank you to our auditors, Cindy Huitema and Kim Dickie. Both ladies agreed to be the auditors for next year, 2023)
- Debbie Thomas gave a heartfelt thank you to Deb Z for all her hard work as President the last 4 years. A decorative bench and card was given on behalf of all DHS members.
- Introduction of 2022 Board of Directors: Deb Z introduced each member of the DHS Board and the role they played this past year. A huge thank you was given to each member.
- President’s Year in Review – Deb Zynomirski gave a short review of the year, expressing her thanks for the support she has received and pride at the projects completed. After 4 years of being DHS President, Deb said her final ‘Good bye’ to the members. Deb also thanked for years of service on the Board of Directors by both Wray and Bev McLean who are stepping down. Deb also thanked Roger Egger and Charlie Hartsell (who were in attendance) for their generous volunteering of watering the gardens all year. An IOU of a T-shirt was given to each of the men (t -shirt says “I wet my plants’). As well, Deb thanked Michael Konkle for his donations of the 100’s of plants he donates each year to make our town flower beds so beautiful.
- Disbandment of 2022 Executive and Board of Directors was moved to be accepted by Don Zynmoriski, seconded by Cindy Huitema, passed by membership.
- Installation of 2023 Executive & Board of Directors – Susan Lusted from District 9 read the By laws and swore in the new Board of Directors: Past President: Deb Zynomirski, Vice President: Petra KruisDaly, Recording Secretary: Petra KruisDaly, Correspondence Secretary Jennifer Miller, Treasurer: Ellen Guenther, Board members: Melanie Ruigrok, Nelly Englage, Debbie Thomas, Susan Emery, Sharon Sykes, Marilyn Stavinga.
- Looking ahead to 2023 – Deb Zynomirski. Deb spoke about the sharing of duties by the Board of Directors as there is no President. She asked for volunteers for snacks for the January Program night: Martha Glaw, Clara Draistra, Cindy Huitema, Muriel Currie, Jen Miller. All members are from now on encouraged to ‘Lug a Mug’ so that less single use cups for coffee/tea are used.
7:45 pm Break for Refreshments: Coffee,Tea, etc.
8:00 pm Fun and Games
- Thank you to Optimist Club, 3 Ladies in the kitchen were thanked for their work this evening. A donation of $250 was made to the Optimist Club.
- Awarding Photo Contest winners – 1st: Nick Huitema, 2nd: Cindy Huitema, 3rd: Sharon Sykes.
- Auction Time! Auctioneer: Don Zynomirski auctioned off the following items, money to go to DHS for future projects:
- 3 Artificial Plants $110
- Indoor/outdoor carpet $25
- Painting $20
- Sound system $65
- Camera Tripod $20
- Microphone Stand $20
- Rototiller $170
- Weed wacker/hedge clippers $80
Jennifer Miller led multiple games of Bingo, her lovely daughters awarded prizes.
6 Beautiful Poinsettia plants were given as door prizes to the following members: Bev Mclean, Fran Smith, Martha Glaw, Rosemarie Bosak, Ivy Miller, Clara Draistra.
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas was sung by all. ***first snowfall of year
8:30pm Program Adjourns. A special thank-you to our wonderful volunteers who made this evening’s program special, working together to make DHS a fantastic club!
Next Program Night is January 19, 2023. Looking forward to another great night of warm fellowship, garden talk and fun!
58 Members/guests signed in this evening
Kitchen Donations $23.65
Auction income $510.00