DUNNVILLE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
PROGRAM NIGHT Minutes: FEBRUARY 16th 2023
6:30pm. Doors Opened. Members purchased Ways and Means tickets. Enjoyed a coffee or tea. Memberships were available to be purchased as well.
7:00pm. Welcome by Petra Kruis-Daly. The Treasurer’s Report is posted on the back wall. Questions can be directed to our treasurer Ellen Guenther.
7:10pm. Business at Hand
· Thank you to Marlene Link for her continued articles in the Sachem, and also to Susan and Brad Emery for their Get Growing column in the Haldimand Press
· Reminder we are participating in Lug A Mug – Please bring your own reusable mug.
· Everyone was encouraged to sign in at the Welcome table. This sheet will be used to make our door prize selections (two Peace Lilies donated by Don Davis).
· DHS is partnering with the Haldimand Horticulture Society in 2023 to do a joint Seedy Saturday event. This will take place at the arena in Cayuga. The confirmed date is April 29th 2023. Save the date! Members are welcome to take a flyer and post around town.
· Ways and Means Table: Get your tickets before the Program begins tonight, or at the break. As always, feel free to bring in gently used or new items to donate to the table.
· Thank you to everyone who brought the finger foods for break today, it is always much appreciated. Volunteers for snacks for March Program night are: Marie B, Pat H, Betty, Bruce B.
- Suggestion Box will once again be available by the registration desk. All ideas are welcome.
- March program, early bird membership draw
- Upcoming: April is ‘Bring A Friend’ program night, everyone who brings a friend gets a ballot for a prize, if the friend becomes a member, they get 2 ballots. A variety of prizes will be available for selection.
- Members are welcome to donate any tea they don’t plan to use to our kitchen.
- There are sign up sheets to show interest for the following activities at the welcome table: weeding, planting, bus tour, crocheting poppies and lions booth.
- Suggestion Box from last month:
- Each program night, members are invited to bring in a ‘mystery’ plant. Everyone is encouraged to help identify the plant. This evening a plant was brought in, whoever can identify the plant will get to take it home. Thanks to Don Davis for bringing it in.
2 Placing significant items (old vehicles, etc) are too large to place in beds for decoration. One suggestion from Richard Egger was to place old implements (Richard has some he would be willing to donate) that are structurally interesting but smaller in size.
3 We will be featuring our weeders in newspaper articles and/or at program nights to show our gratitude.
Dates to Remember:
§ March 16th, next Program Night – Mushrooms and Fungi
§ March 16 -Early Bird Draw.
§ April 13-15 – Lions Home and Garden Show – Booth Theme is Flower Power
§ April 20th program- Bring a friend month.
§ April 29th 2023 – Seedy Saturday Cayuga Arena
7:30pm. Break for Refreshments
7:40pm. Presentation by Adam Chamberlin : Our Backyard: The Carolinian Forest. Adam gave an interesting talk all about the Native Trees that we are encouraged to plant and take care of in our local area that are part of our Carolinian Forest.
8:30pm. Wrap Up and Closing Remarks
· Door prize winners of the two Peace Lilies: Angela Latham, Mike Draaistra
· Mystery plant winner: Marilyn Stavinga identified the plant as a type of Orchid (Oncidium)
· Ways and Means draws (Betty Ballenger and Gwen VanNatter)
· Meeting Adjourns
Thanks to all our Board Members and volunteers who made tonight’s evening possible! Together we all work together to make our Society a success!
Ways and Means: $49.25
Memberships Sold: 6 memberships 4x$10 and 2x$5 = $50