DUNNVILLE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
PROGRAM NIGHT: APRIL 21, 2022 Minutes
6:30pm. Doors Open. Memberships available for 2022.
7:00pm. Everyone is welcomed by Deb Zynomirski, DHS President
Treasurer’s Report is Posted on the back wall. Questions can
be directed to our new Treasurer Ellen Guenther.
7:05pm. Business at Hand presented by Petra Kruis Daly, Secretary
- Email list has been based on information from as far back as 2019. If your information has changed, please let us know so that going forward we will have correct info. The phone/email list will be taken from the 2022 membership list from June 2022 on.
- 2022 DHS memberships on sale tonight at break, see Ellen and Sharon for your membership.
- DHS Early Bird draw will take place tonight, prizes will be drawn for those who have already purchased their memberships. Draw prizes are ‘Pollinator Houses’
- Thank you to Marlene Link for her continued articles in the Sachem, and also to Susan and Brad Emery for their Get Growing column in the Haldimand Press
- Ways and Means Table has returned! Get your tickets before the Program begins tonight, or at the break. Betty B and Gwen V will be happy to sell you tickets. Money earned goes right back into our club to pay for hall rental, speakers, food and more.
- Start thinking ahead to spring. We will need volunteers to assist with cleaning up gardens, and with weeding and maintenance. If you can help out with this, please see Nelly E and sign up on the sheets at the entrance of the room.
- DHS Bursary for graduating student of DSS that is going to post secondary school in agriculture or horticulture. The Bursary winner must volunteer 10 hours to DHS.
- Downtown Dunnville Tree Planting Plan by Haldimand County will be happening this spring. Look for a variety of new trees in the downtown core soon.
- District 9 AGM taking place April 23 via Zoom, 9:30am-1:00pm (see Deb Z for details)
- 2022 Year of the Garden “A Splash of Red”. Special Activities include:
- Red feature garden by bridge (Lighthouse garden)
- Consider planting red annuals this year
- Haldimand County photo contest later this year.
- Sign Up Sheets available:
- Weeding/Clean Up of Gardens
- Planters for Planting Days!
- Plant Sale
- Dates to Remember:
- May 7 DHS Plant Sale (see Petra)
- May 24/25/26 DHS Annual Planting Days
- May 19 next Program Night
- Sign Up Sheets available:
7:20m. Break for Refreshments
7:35 pm. Presentation by Deb Zynomirski: Pollination 101.
Deb presented an entertaining and educational talk on the ‘Birds and Bees’ of how plants pollinate. She used lots of great visuals to get her interesting points across.
8:15pm. Wrap Up and Closing Remarks
- Draws for Early Bird membership: Jan Loots, Marline Link, Anne Wilde
- Special Door prize donated by Don Davies. (2 Peace lilies, one Bromillia ) Margaret Meyer-Smith, Steve Elgersma, Bruce Burton.
- Ways and Means draws (Betty Ballenger and Gwen Van Natter)
- Meeting Adjourns
46 Members/Guests present this evening
$53.00 taken in by Ways and Means
$ 27.00 taken in by Kitchen Donation
$ 90.00 in memberships: ___3 single, __4 couple
Thanks to all our Board Members and volunteers who made tonight’s evening possible! Together we all work together to make our Society a success!