DHS Monthly Program – Optimist Hall
Sandi Marr, DHS Reporting Secretary
Meeting was called to order by Debbie Thomas at 7:10pm.
Treasurers report tabled till next meeting.
– New and renewed memberships doing well. – Thanked everyone and, welcomed all new members.
– Rob Maracle director of fund raising has been working very hard collecting donations for us, doing a great job.
– Debbie read thank you quote from the Chamber of Commerce AGM meeting minutes, acknowledging the Dunnville Horticultural Society’s contributions helping to decorate Dunnville for Christmas, a big thank you to every one that helped.
– Hoping to clean evergreen boughs from large flower pots and planters before Easter, but are still froze in. Told everyone an email will go out, asking for volunteers to help clean up and decorate them within next 2weeks hopefully, for Easter/spring to carry through till May planting day.
– Discussed the Dist 9 Spring forum to be held at Balls Falls, April 25th. Mentioned speakers, flower show and let everyone know the complete list of details would be posted on our website, and if anyone without email would like a copy, let the executive know.
– Mentioned the Dunnville Lions Home and Garden show to be held Fri April 17th from 10am – 9pm, and Sat April 18th from 10am-3pm.
– Gloria Hunter and Deb Zynomirski are coordinating the event for us and will be decorating our booth Thursday, but would like volunteers to help man the booth Fri and Saturday for a minimum 3 hour intervals, a sign up sheet to be at front registration table at break, or if not sure tonight please call or email later if you can help out. Hoping for at least 3-4 people for each time slot. Keeping booth low-key concentrating on increasing memberships and presence in community.
– Discussed our May plant sale our biggest fund raiser of year, and reminded members when cleaning up their gardens or dividing plants to consider donating to the Hort Society. Drop off this year will be Fri May 8th at the Farmers market to provide shelter should it rain, and ample parking.
– A request for volunteers for drop off evening to price and sort, also day of sale, setting up, putting out signs and we will need tables, trucks or trailers.
– Trivia question was to complete Paul Bolland’s opening remark, from his presentation at last months meeting ” Gardening began as a hobby but… ” —answer— “turned into a business”. Beverley McLean answered correctly, getting the prize.
– Mentioned if anyone was having trouble with Judy’s DVD’s picked up last month to see Don Davies at break.
– Debbie passed out a clear bag, asking it to be passed around and later she would ask, who knew what was in the bag, and what is special about them?
– Break and refreshments 10 minutes.
– Thank you to Beth Powell, Ken Sherwood, Sandi and Rob Marr, and Marlene Link for delicious and festive snacks and to Sandi and Rob for decorating the refreshment table tonight.
– Asked for volunteers to provide snacks for June and Oct’s general meeting, needing two more for each month.
– Mentioned Mary Lou Johnston has been cleaning the antique silver trophy’s and has brought back another one to be stored, suggested members take a look. They will only be used to display from now on, for special events and the flower and veg shows.
– Introduced our speaker Lester Fretz, he presented on Profitable Propagation. He provided lots of tips, visuals, and many free items for members to enjoy and try.
– Mentioned email will be sent out with an overview of his presentation.
– Members were asked what was special about the coffee beans in the bag?
Everyone was stumped? Answer was that they are the most expensive coffee beans in the World, because of their processing. First coffee beans are eaten by the Civet, a type of wild Asian cat, then as they pass through the digestive track the beans are fermented. Once the Civet poops out the beans with the outer shell now dissolved, the bean is manually picked out, cleaned and processed for use. These beans came form Bali.
Debbie’s son brought them from a vacation for her to try.
Meeting adjourned 8:45pm
Ways and Means