DUNNVILLE HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY
Thursday March 17, 2011 7 p.m.
GRACE UNITED CHURCH, DUNNVILLE
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER by president Judy Jeffery. There were 28 members present.
MINUTES of February, written by Pat Taylor-Van Natter, were read by Judy. Kim Christoff moved that they be accepted as read. Ian Steel seconded the motion and it was passed.
NEWSLETTER for February written by Pat was handed out to members.
TREASURER’S REPORT for February was read by Kim. (attached). Don Davis moved that the report be accepted as read and it was seconded by Hellen Edyl. The motion was passed.
UPCOMING PROJECTS AND EVENTS
- Heritage Day will be held on April 9, 2011 at the Dunnville Library. “Saluting our Troops” is the theme this year and thus, we will not be a part. Members were encouraged to attend the event.
- The Home and Garden Show is on April 15 and 16, 2011. Marylou Johnson passed around a volunteer schedule. We will have a 10×10 ft. booth, hopefully in the same spot as last year. A plan for this event is attached.
- The Annual Plant sale will be held on May 14 this year. Judy reminded members to think about planning for extra plants, seedlings that they may donate to this major fundraiser for the Horticultural Society.
- Judy discussed some tried and true tips from Gerry Baker. There were tips for a safe and sound pesticide, a seed and soil energizing tonic, and two seed-starter tonics.
- Judy can get bulbs at a good price for members. Anyone wishing to purchase some should let her know what kinds they are looking for.
SPEAKER MONICA DEMPSTER from Sharples in Hamilton put on a demonstration on how to separate and start new plants from old ones. Full of many tips and techniques, with some hands-on involvement for some members, it was enjoyed by all. She also had many tropical plants for sale at great prices.
INTERMISSION was held with refreshments provided by Karen Waltham, Betty Ballanger and Lori Maracle.
WAYS AND MEANS was run by Betty Ballanger. There were numerous items, including a water colour by Mary Galli, which raised $51.
Meeting was adjourned. Next meeting will be held on Thursday April 21, 2011.
PRESIDENT VICE-PRESIDENT TREASURER
Judy Jeffery Pat Taylor-Van Natter Kim Christoff
905-701-4656 905-774-6174 289-369-0474